What is a Restricted License?

restricted license, also sometimes known as a work license, hardship license, or Cinderella license is a limited use license issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

It allows you to drive under certain limited conditions and restrictions as permitted by the court. The restrictions can vary widely, and are dependent on the discretion of the judge.

If you are planning to plead guilty to a DUI, a restricted license is something you need to get information about. I can help you decide what your driving needs are, and make sure a properly written motion is before the court in time.

A DUI defense attorney with the right experience will know how to handle this. I will work with you to help you get a restricted license after the case.

How do I get a Restricted License after a DUI in Virginia?

You have to petition the court at the time of your plea or conviction, or sometimes shortly thereafter. I can draft a motion for you and present it to a judge. Some judges only allow a restricted license starting from 30 days after a conviction.

You will also have to be enrolled in an Alcohol Safety Action Program, and successfully complete it.

If you are convicted of a second offense DUI within the last 10 years, you won’t be eligible for a restricted license for 4 months. If you have a 2nd offense DUI conviction within the previous 5 years, you aren’t eligible for a restricted license for 1 year.

If you’ve been convicted or a third (3rd) offense DUI, you aren’t eligible for a restricted license.

restricted license is not guaranteed. Some judges simply won’t agree to the motion, even if everything is completely properly. However, an experienced DUI lawyer will provide you with the best chance to get this done.

What are some typical or Common Restrictions on a Virginia Restricted License?

A restricted license is only valid for certain explicitly specified uses. Common restrictions issued when a license is granted are:

  • Driving only to and from work
  • Driving only on official work business
  • Driving only to and from school
  • Driving only to and from medical treatment for yourself or another person, such as an elderly parent, if authorized.
  • Driving to and from school, day care, or authorized medical care with a minor child
  • Driving to and from authorized visitation with a minor child
  • Driving to and from alcohol education & safety programs (aka Virginia Alcohol Safety Action Program – VASAP)

If you have questions about a restricted license, and what your options are for getting back on the road after a DUI plea, give me a call. I’ll ask about your case, and lay out some options for you. Call me today.